Oatmeal, the way I like it

>> Tuesday, October 6, 2009


My breakfast is usually Cheerios with unsweetened soymilk with some fruit topping. But, cereal is too cold for the mornings like these days here in Colorado Springs. I needed something warm and comforting, and yet healthy.

That's oatmeal for our family.

I normally use Quaker's Old Fashioned Oats. You can easily follow the servings and direction on the label. One thing I do differently is that I do not boil the water first. I just combine water and oats from the beginning and let it boil with lid on. Just watch the pot, since it may overflow. This way, oatmeal is softer and cooks fast.

When it's almost done, you can add chopped apples and craisins or raisins if you liked them.
And cook just a little more and turn the heat off. Put the lid back and let it simmer by itself.


Before serving, you can add nuts(any kind) and a dash of cinnamon if you like them.
It's nice and warm. Definitely, it's a comfort food. This is filling, too.

Our family like blend taste of it without salt or sugar. But you can always add some salt and brown sugar or even maple syrup.

Here is a good read on oats and health benefits.
http://www.eatmoreoats.com/health.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP